Benadryl is a medicine used for treating various issues. It comes from Diphenhydramine and is an antihistamine. It helps in throwing away allergy, hay fever and certain types of cold. Moreover, the symptoms looking at which this medication can be given includes the rash, itching, watery eyes sneezing, etc. Furthermore, if a person is feeling nausea and dizziness, Benadryl can be highly helpful. Particularly, if it occurs due to motion sickness, this medication can be effective. However, these are the reasons for which Benadryl is given to adults. Benadryl dosage for kids is totally different from adults. Its uses for kids are also different. Here, we put a light on how much dosage should be given to your kid, considering multiple factors.
Benadryl Dosage for Kids
When it comes to the dosage of medicine, you need to be careful. It is because if the dosage is less than required, it may not do any good to your kid. On the other hand, if the dosage is more than the recommended amount, it may do more harm than good. You need to be careful because just a slight bit of carelessness leads to severe side effects that will put a negative impact on your child’s health. Following is some information regarding dosage according to the child’s weight in pounds:
- 20 to 24 pounds: For a child of weight 20 to 24 pounds, the dosage of liquid 12.5 mg / 5mL should be 4 mL. The liquid 12.5mg per 1 tsp should be given ¾ tsp. The chewable, tablets and capsules are not recommended.
- 25 to 37 pounds: For a 25 to 37-pound kid, you must give 5 mL for liquid 12.5 mg / 5 mL Benadryl. 1tsp of liquid 12.5 mg / 1 tsp would also be enough. Moreover, the chewable 12.5 mg must not be given more than once a day, and if tablets are given, it should be half tab a day.
- 38 to 49 pounds: If your kid weighs between 38 and 49 pounds, you should give him 7.5 mL of 12.5 mg / mL liquid Benadryl. If you have the liquid 12.5 mg / 1 tsp Benadryl, consider giving him 1 and a half tsp. The Same dosage is for the chewable 12.5 mg. If you are considering to give a 25 mg tablet, you should not give him more than half a tablet.
- 50 to 99 pounds: If your lad has a weight between 50 and 99 pounds the dosage is a bit high. The liquid dosage of 12.5 mg / 5 ml is highly unlikely. The liquid 12.5 mg per tsp should be given twice a day. 2 chewable tablets or 1 tablet of 25 mg is also sufficient. Moreover, when you consider the capsules of 25 mg, doctors do not recommend more than 1 capsule a day (depending on the condition of the child).
- 100+ pounds: If your child is pretty healthy and weight 100+ pounds, he will have a different dosage. The Benadryl dosage for kids who weigh 100+ pounds is mainly in solid form. They are not given the liquid dosage. 4 chewable 12.5 mg Benadryl or 2 tablets of 25 mg are safe. Moreover, 2 capsules of 25 mg are also safe.
Benadryl is also used for pets like dogs. Benadryl dosage for dogs is used to treat different allergies.
GD Star Rating